Tuesday, February 22, 2011

How are you doing?

This is a difficult question.  One that I have been asked quite frequently the past couple days, and I greatly appreciate everyone's sincerity, so this post is my attempt to answer the question.

I am a little lost.
I am tired.
I am missing him.
I love him.
I am relieved that he's not in pain anymore.
I am still in shock.
I wish it didn't have to be this way.
I am grateful for him.
I hurt deep inside.
I'm sad for Nathan.
I cry when no one is around.

Psalm 61:1-3 says, "Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer.  From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is heigher than I.  For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe"

The burden of losing my best friend, my husband, the father of my son, Tom, is far too heavy for me to carry alone.  I trust in the Lord, and come to Him to help me learn how to cope, and ask Him to carry this burden from my heavy shoulders.  It doesn't happen overnight, in a day, in a week, a month; I have to learn to let go.  It's not easy because I yearn to have Tom back, but I have to ask the Lord to teach me patience to live the life He has laid out for me until the day that Tom and I are reunited.  Until then, Tom's life and memory of him will never be forgotten.  I have a wonderful support system of family and friends that will help Nathan and I through our life here on earth.  We all help each other.  Who can't take their eyes off of Nathan; he is his father through-and-through, after all.

I am so blessed to have Tom's wonderful buds in my life to help take Nathan under their wings and teach him all of the things Tom would have taught Nathan himself.  There is no doubt in my mind that Nathan will not know and understand the person his daddy was.  I look forward to watching Nathan grow into the man Tom was.  Tom was a devoted and loving husband, father and friend.  It's the person he was to each of us that we will never forget.

So, the question, "How are you doing?"  I don't have a definitive answer.  But I do have faith in the Lord, and Him to lean on to carry this burden of pain of losing my husband.  I will teach Nathan the same.  It won't be easy, I don't know that it ever will become easy.  The strength I have isn't mine alone. It's blessed upon me through my faith in God.  Jesus died for our sins so that we may have eternal life.  He gives me strength.

I've heard friends say and ask this question, in general, not directed to me.... 'how do we move on?'  My friends, I don't have the answer, and I don't know that any human on earth could answer that question.  We must ask Him.  If you have faith, ask Him.  He's listening, always listening.  Lean on Him.  If you are someone who does not know Jesus Christ as your Savior, just ask Him "Come to me."  You must first approach Him and then talk to Him and quietly listen.  The answers don't always come out directly, but watch your daily life, live what He has laid our for you, and ask him to carry your burdens, and you will see your life change.  I'm not saying daily living is easy, after having experienced this great loss, but it is as simple as asking to help find peace.  Tom would say the same.  The Lord will carry you if you ask Him.



I will always miss Tom.
I will always love him.
I will always feel a little lonely.
I will always be grateful to him.
I will always have a pain deep inside my heart.
I will always talk to Nathan about his daddy.
I will always celebrate the life Tom lived.
I will always cry when no one is around.
But with all that, I have faith, I have the Lord to help carry the burden weighing down my shoulders, and give me the strength I need everyday.

Still, whenever I am asked "How are you doing?" I might not have an answer because it's too difficult to say for sure.  I'm not feeling "good" because I just lost my husband.  I'm not "horrible" because I have faith in God.  I'm not just "ok" because I have a loving family and wonderful friends.  So, maybe, for now, I'm "alright" because I always have Him to carry me.

Love,
Roxanne

226 comments:

«Oldest   ‹Older   201 – 226 of 226
CheyenneMarie said...

Roxanne,
there is not much i can say to you tht will comfort you at this hard time..i myself lost my boyfriend of two years, my first love, to suicide. i know things are tough, but things will get better. you don't have to forget, and the pain will never cease; but you can learn to live knowing he did his job here, to give you your boy. you are such a strong woman, i hope you will continue to be strong for your little boy, who is just gorgeous. you are clearly loved by so many, i hope you realize that. even us who don't know you want you to know that we care.
be strong, and carry on.
live in his memory.
you are loved much.

Alicia said...

Roxanne,

I am so sorry to read about the loss of your husband.

The bravery you show by sharing this post -- your thoughts, feelings and words -- with the world during this difficult time is inspiring.

A close friend of mine is living out her final days in hospice. It's been such a difficult time, but reading your post made me realize it is okay to open up and share your feelings when you need to the most.

By turning your tragedy into a blog post, you are touching the lives of so many people out there who are dealing with the loss of a friend, family member or spouse. Thank you.

Again, I am so very sorry for your loss. I'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts.


Sending my hugs, thoughts, prayers and warmest regards your way,

Alicia

Anonymous said...

It's clear that you are a woman of God and understand that with Him, you can make it through anything and find peace. Just know that you and your unwavering faith are an inspiration and that not only do you have a support system in your friends and biological family but in your Christian family as well. We love you.

CIndy said...

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you. I am sending you love and strength. I hope that you will find comfort in your memories and joy in spending time withyour "little dude"!

Sarah said...

Dear Roxanne,
I can't begin to imagine the pain you must feel. It really lifted my spirits to see that in spite of all this, you have hope. Just like Job in the Bible, who had everything taken away from him, your trust is still in God. How awesome is that?! His plan for you and your son is so much greater than anything you could have ever dreamed.

You are both in my prayers. Jeremiah 29:11

michellesedas said...

May God's loving hands hold you today and may you feel the peace of His presence.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, you're in my prayers. I'm glad Nathan had the father that he did. Through friends and family, he will learn what a wonderful man he was. It's also great that you have the support system you do. I know it is going to be a bumpy road, but I'm glad you have God in your life to help you carry this burden. God bless you both.

Libby! said...

How beautiful is it to know you have hundreds of prayer warriors out there for you?

You cannot do this alone, you're right. God is right beside you... helping you every step of the way... Give all that glory to Him and trust Him with everything... and I will keep praying for you sweet wife, mother, friend, and sister in Christ.

Sending love all the way from TN

Anonymous said...

Roxanne, you are a real inspiration to so many people, I can't possibly imagine what you are going through. My thoughts are with you and the little dude!
Bless you Both, All of My Love.

Anonymous said...

Roxanne,
My heart goes out to you in this difficult time. You sound so strong and I am happy to know that you are surrounded by love and help.
Just know that there are many people out here in the world keeping you and your son in our prayers as well.
Love & Light to you both.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! I'll be thinking of you and sending you and your family lots of strength!

missydopop said...

You are an inspiration Roxanne. I admire your strength, clarity and love that you are showing. Keeping you and your beautiful family in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

This post was amazing. You are such a strong, inspiring person, and I applaud you for that. I know that I don't know you in person, but I will be thinking of you and praying for you. Stay the wonderful, strong person you are.

CV said...

Roxanne,

I can't say I know how you are feeling, but I can tell you that there are many people out there that care about you and Nathan. You are such a strong, brave, courageous woman. I hope things get better soon. I will keep you and Nathan in my prayers.

Love and hugs,
Carol

Emily said...

I don't know much about this life, but I know what the power of human connection can feel like. I know we're strangers, but I'm sending love and hugs in this time of grief. I hope you recieve some relief, yourself. Hang in there, kiddo.

Jenn Hoff said...

I'm so sorry, Roxanne. No one should have to go through this.

Anonymous said...

Roxanne,
I don't know you, but I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone. And that you're bravery is an inspiration for others. As long as you keep a smile, you will make it out okay.

Anonymous said...

Let me just say, your faith is amazing, and I really hope you can stay this strong as you are truly inspirational. You don't know me but you'll be in my prayers <3

Anonymous said...

Stay strong (but i'm sure you are doing that anyway). you have a beautiful son and i'm sure that the two of you will do fine in the face of this grief and challenge. thoughts are with you <3

Brianne Burrowes said...

Roxanne, I sit here and I can't imagine the pain you're going through. I feel like any words I offer won't be enough, but then again, nothing probably feels like enough right now. I'm so glad you have your son and your faith. They will get you through this, and they will make you stronger day by day. Please know you have a bunch of warm-hearted people praying for you and your family. Stay strong!

Sherry Jones said...

We are born with all we need to survive.

To plant the seed, we must first dig into the dark soil.

These ideas have helped me through my darkest times. I hope they help you. My love to you, my dear!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your lost, at one time it was suspected tha I had melanom, fortunaly I didn't but I'm so sad that your husband did.

I'll pray for you.

Anonymous said...

There's no real consolation, but if there were, it's that your pain only means the connection was that strong and you'll always feel it. Take care & god bless, TJ, Knoxville, TN

Mandi said...

Your story resonates with me, as it must with everyone who comes across it. My husband and I have recently been blessed with our own gift from God - a five month old girl - and while I previously worried how I would cope if something happened to my husband, now I can't imagine how I'd get through this life without my daughter's father. Just the weight of those words hurts my heart.

It seems that God tests us in ways that aren't fair, but this way seems particularly unfair. However, you're handling what many of us will never have the courage to handle with perfect grace. Another commenter was so right on when she said: "You are proof as to why women are the pillar of strength for any event in life."

You are proof. Of motherhood. Of life. Of commitment. Of faith.

Please continue on and keep sharing your story with the masses so we can continue to help lift you up.

Nate St. Pierre said...

"Still, whenever I am asked "How are you doing?" I might not have an answer because it's too difficult to say for sure. I'm not feeling "good" because I just lost my husband. I'm not "horrible" because I have faith in God. I'm not just "ok" because I have a loving family and wonderful friends. So, maybe, for now, I'm "alright" because I always have Him to carry me."

I've never thought about it like this, Roxanne, but that's an amazing way to state how you feel in general, even though it can't truly define a specific moment.

You've put into words something that I've felt for a long time. Thank you for that.

Nate St. Pierre said...

"Still, whenever I am asked "How are you doing?" I might not have an answer because it's too difficult to say for sure. I'm not feeling "good" because I just lost my husband. I'm not "horrible" because I have faith in God. I'm not just "ok" because I have a loving family and wonderful friends. So, maybe, for now, I'm "alright" because I always have Him to carry me."

You put this in a way that I've never thought of before, Roxanne. It's amazing - this can describe how you feel in general, even though it can't define a specific moment.

Thank you for putting into words many of the thoughts I've been feeling this past year in my own situation.

«Oldest ‹Older   201 – 226 of 226   Newer› Newest»